Friday, May 14, 2010

I hurt my small toe nail a while ago, and it turned black and stopped growing, what happened and what do I do?

A good amount of force fell on my small toe, right on the nail. Now it's turned black in colour and it no longer seems to be growing. I'm worried that I may have killed any nerves that were on that part of the toe or that my nail will no longer be able to grow.I hurt my small toe nail a while ago, and it turned black and stopped growing, what happened and what do I do?
Does it hurt to put pressure on the nail? If so, then you probably have bruising under the nail. The nail may fall off completely in a number of weeks (don't worry, a new one will grow back--in which case, take care to observe it in case it is ingrown) or the bruise will clear up over time.





If there is no sensation in the toe at all, this could indicate nerve and/or blood vessel damage. The toe should be looked at by a doctor to insure it has not become necrotic, which could eventually result in gangrene and require amputation. I don't mean to scare you though, this is not very possible, but you might want to get it checked jsut in case.





If the toe seems to be swollen, it may be filled with fluid or blood (blood blister) in which case it may need to be drained to facilitate the healing process. You could probably drain it yourself (using a flame-sterilized sewing needle and antibiotic ointment or hydrogen peroxide), but I would recommend you see a doctor before attempting to drain the toe so you don't exacerbate the problem.





Best wishes and good luck!I hurt my small toe nail a while ago, and it turned black and stopped growing, what happened and what do I do?
this same problem happened to me with my thumb. your toenail is actually still growing underneath the bruised and ruined one you see. give it about a month and it will actually fall off. don't be alarmed, there will be a new one underneath it!
It is possible. That happened to my sister, after the nail falls off you should be able to tell if there is a new nail underneath that pushed it up. Would't sweat it though. I doubt anyone will ever even notice
the blood stopped circulating...........try rubbibg it
Leave it alone it will grow out on it's own. by the way you might want to get an x-ray to let you know if you broke your toe (not that anything can be done about it if you did)
Argh! Go to the doctor man!!
  • zits
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment