Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How do I treat an iguana with a bleeding toe nail?

I have a 3 foot iguana. She's 10 years old. I bought a toe nail clipper for dogs because I wanted to clip her claws. I must have clipped too much of 1 of her claws because it's bleeding. What do I do? Will it stop bleeding on it's own? It just happened about 3 minutes ago. Is there a medication I can buy at a pet store? Please help!! Any advice is needed! *** Is the iguana's health in any imminent danger?How do I treat an iguana with a bleeding toe nail?
You can buy Kwik Stop Powder from a pet store to stop the bleeding for future incidents but since it's bleeding right now use some corn starch. Pack some onto the end of the nail that is bleeding and that should stop it. It won't harm your pet if it licks up the corn starch but it should stop the bleeding.





Before you cut nails again have your vet show you how to do it to reduce the likelihood of you doing it wrong again.How do I treat an iguana with a bleeding toe nail?
The iguana isn't in any imminent danger -- it will, eventually stop bleeding -- with people, we would just apply pressure (it's a toenail, for crying out loud. . . ) but, there is something called styptic powder or a styptic pencil that you can use that will help to clot the blood.





If you don't have one, don't worry about it . . . chances are, by the time you get out and get one, the blood will have already stopped.
Okay, you probably cut the quick. I would take it to the vet soon to see if there are any complications involved, and hurry!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment