Saturday, January 23, 2010

What to do when a toe nail falls off?

My sister's whole toe nail fell off from her big toe. What should she do to ease the pain and what else should she do before it grows back completely?What to do when a toe nail falls off?
not much, except wait for the new oneWhat to do when a toe nail falls off?
I have nail fungus (that creepy guy on TV that gets under your nails and calls himself Digger the Dermophyte). I am on lamisil, very expensive but my insurance covers it. I have had several nails fall off due to the fungu. I have seen this alot with my patients too. She should see a dermatologist to see if shehas fungus and get treatment. Treatment takes a long time. I have been on Lamisil for over a year but I am almost clear!. As to the pain in her toe, at least its sandal wheather so she can wear those to not put pressure on her toe. A simple abt. oint and bandaid will help.
Get some antibiotics and have her soak her foot in salt water (with sea salt, not table salt) for half an hour in warm water twice a day to prevent infections that might occur within the open wound. If it's not bleeding, then make sure she cleans it carefully every day and keep the antibiotics on hand.
when my toe nail fell off i wrapped it up for a while after it happened and then when it started to heal i wore close toed shoes. my nail didn't grow back fully for almost a year ..so she could get a fake toe nail put on..
nothing she can do. and she shouldnt have to if it fell off because she stubbed it. if it is bleeding then she should see a doctor or if it seems like it may have been infected. put some antibiotics on it. i hope i can help but i am not a doctor. sorry! i hit a glass jar on mine and it bruised and then fell off. it grew back so just put on some ice it should be ok
cover it with band aid
keep it clean and covered
call a doctor, not yahoo answers... super glue?!?
Make sure you allow it to grow back without disturbing it. It will come out crooked and possibly stab into the skin. Make sure she cleans it with alcohol each day so it doesn't get infected either.

No comments:

Post a Comment